This seedling disease plunges even experienced gardeners into panic. In fact, it is not often possible to grow seedlings so that they are not affected by the disease. The appearance of black legs in tomato seedlings. - One of the most unpleasant surprises (because it appears suddenly). The stems, which have so recently stood cheerfully, fall like their heads, and die. Often this happens after picking up the seedlings. The article will discuss the protection of tomato seedlings from black leg.
Causes of disease
If you look at the fallen stems, you will notice that they darken and become thinner near the surface of the soil, like burned matches.Important! Thinning and darkening of the stem shows that tomato seedlings are affected by a disease called “black leg”, or “blackfede”.
Vegetable crops, which are grown in a closed way, in greenhouses and greenhouses are most vulnerable to this disease.
The cause of the disease is a fungal infection of the seedlings. The fungus infects the root system. Through the roots, the disease spreads from one plant to another. In addition to tomatoes, cabbage and radish seedlings are susceptible to this ailment.Important! A provoking factor are low temperatures, insufficient lighting, dampness, and excessive planting of crops.
Especially important for tomato seedlings good lighting. In order for the light to be as large as possible, you should place the foil behind the boxes or pots in which the seedlings are planted.
How to cure sprouts
Before you begin treatment, know that the disease develops only in overly acidified soils. Tillage with chalk, dry limestone or wood ash helps to neutralize the soil. Well helps and such a tool as dolomite flour.
Important! Even if you have noticed the signs of a black-headed dog on at least one stem, begin treatment immediately, until all the seedlings are affected.
Save the harvest is possible only with this approach.
True, many gardeners consider treatment as ungrateful. Even if the plant can be saved, it is stunted and grows worse. They remove not only diseased plants, but also some of the healthy ones that are nearby.
So what needs to be done?
- Disinfect the soil. For this helps watering solution of potassium permanganate.
- Limit watering plants. This is a good disease prevention. In dry soil, the fungus does not develop. And that means there is a chance to save the harvest.
- Pour the seedlings affected by the disease, wood ash or powdered charcoal.
- The soil can also be disinfected with a formalin solution. At the same time it is necessary that the soil was carefully loosened.
Effective and complete replacement of the soil in the place where the seedlings were affected with the disinfection of the soil around the lesion. This helps prevent the spread of the disease to other shoots.
It is important to prevent the disease from the beginning. Seed preparation is very important. It is advisable to choose varieties resistant to this disease. Good immunity in tomato varieties "Ljana" - a combination of unpretentiousness in the care, resistance to diseases and good yields.
Before sowing, the seeds should be treated with a solution of potassium permanganate (keep the grains placed in a cloth bag for 20-30 minutes in solution). After that, you need to wash the seeds in the same bag and dry. Obligatory procedure is disinfection of the tank into which the landing will be carried out using potassium permanganate solution.
If soil is used for planting seeds and decapitated plants from a vegetable garden, it should be slightly heated before planting. Often used in the furnace roasting in the old utensils. It is undesirable to do this in a residential area, as the soil emits a specific odor when roasting, which can hardly be called pleasant. The calcined soil should be shed with a solution of potassium permanganate. After disinfection with a solution of potassium permanganate, it is necessary to sustain the ground for 2-3 days without planting so that the seeds do not burn out.
Competent watering helps to avoid the disease. Watering is too generous, and even, moreover, do not flood the seedlings. Increased importance can cause illness. Tip! Water young plants need warm water.
A good preventive measure - and regular loosening of the soil, to ensure air access to the roots. To keep the top layer dry, you can cover it with sand. Diseased sprouts must be removed and disposed of so that the disease does not spread to healthy plants. When plants are planted in the ground, the drug “Barrier” is added to each well and only then seedlings are planted.
Folk remedies against black legs
- Do not overmoisten the soil, use a sprayer or a watering can for watering seedlings.
- Do not be lazy to dive seedlings, because this procedure contributes to a better development of the root system.
- Excess nitrogen fertilizers are harmful to plants and can trigger the development of the disease.
- In the process of growing seedlings can not use humus as a fertilizer, because humus contains a fungus.
- Watering a solution of onion peels helps to prevent black legs and has a healing effect for diseased plants.
Preparations for black
To date, there are two drugs that destroy the fungus that causes black leg disease.
- Fundazol. Enough effective remedy. However, the ingredients in its composition are toxic. It is not recommended to use the drug if you are growing tomatoes at home. This is especially true for families where there are small children and pets.
- Previkur. While it is not less effective, less toxic. It is applied both in truck farming, and at cultivation of house flowers.
These two drugs can be classified as prophylactic.
Now you are fully armed in the fight against such a formidable adversary as a centauri. And preventive measures will allow you to reduce the risk of the disease to a minimum.